Tuesday, December 17, 2013

It's a DIY Christmas

So, this year, since I'm living on a teaching salary, I'm finding ways to be smart with my money and I wanted to give my students treats on Friday before we are off on Christmas Break. So, thank you Pinterest (once again) for this awesome idea that I know the kiddos will love!!

Hot Cocoa Rudolf
Cute right?!

Things you will need:
1. Hot cocoa (I used Swiss miss)
2. Mini Marshmallows
3. Decorating Bags - holds it all together
4. Twisty ties
5. Brown pipe cleaners - antlers
6. Wiggly eyes
7. Poms - his nose
8. Hot glue gun & glue
9. Scoop to measure out cocoa


Once you've gathered all of your items, you're ready to get started! I used a 1/4 cup measuring cup to make sure that each Rudolf ended up with the same amount of cocoa. After the cocoa was in the decorating bag, I got about a handful of mini marshmallows to go on top. Then you twist the bag to ensure that nothing can fall out and secure that with a twisty tie. On top of the twisty tie you place the brown pipe cleaner. Now you've completed the most time consuming part of the project. Go you!

To curl the pipe cleaner, I just wrapped it around my finger and stretched :)
Also, I cut the extra top of the decorating bags off so that they wouldn't get it the way.

Now for the fun part - gluing!

Get your hot glue gun all warmed up and ready! It's time to give Rudolf some eyes and a nose!! Not only was this the fun part, but it was also quick. I couldn't believe how fast I was done! I sure do the kiddos love their treats! :) 

24 little Rudolfs ready to be given away!
 
I love making little things like this and to me, it means so much more when you put time and effort into making something for someone than it does just picking something out from the store (sadly with work, it's hard to do that all the time).

But, I will never say no to anything from the store ;) *wink wink*

HAPPY CRAFTING!

No comments:

Post a Comment